Sunday, January 15, 2012

dream, expand, shop?






I went to Ikea in Charlotte yesterday with my Mom and Sister. It has probably been over a year since the last time I fell into the 6 hour shopping trance I love so much. I think my Mom may have been a tiny bit shocked to watch my Sister and I endlessly chat, measure, record ideas and lug boxes into the cart... But I must say, she ended up with far more energy left than we did. For me, the day was an example of pure decorating BLISS. I tried to be good and not buy everything I wanted because, after all, I am a financial counselor by day...one who is supposed to be doing their best to help others find options with how they spend; However, when it came time to take a close look at my 'needs vs my wants',  I got confused. I ended up calling the boyfriend who gave me resonating "NO", an iron black bed is not a need. (Oh well, lost that battle). So I came home renewed to save up for the Ikea 'Lillesand' bed. 
For as long as I can remember, I have struggled with the push and pull of buying and collecting. I sometimes find balance by donating and selling to consignment stores; But does the quest ever end?
Luckily...I am a little simpler and more peaceful about it than I used to be. It comes down to acceptance. I am who I am. I was born to witness and search for beauty amidst the chaos of everyday... I just don't have to bring it home with me every time. I can allow myself to walk away and feel inspired to save for it.
On my trip home, I thought back to the first time I put a purple silk dress on layaway with twenty dollars when I was a teenager. It was a really big deal for me and felt like a true 'high'...but the fun part was the anticipation. The journey of consumerism really can be a kick start to my creative ideas...and for better or worse, I heart shopping...It seems to be my version of modern day hunting and gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment